Upgrade to Chrome Upgrade to Firefox Upgrade to Internet Explorer Upgrade to Safari
Posted: 06.05.24

Happy Birthday to the Pavilion!

Celebrating 100 Years of the Pavilion

Celebrating the century of any building is a milestone in the history of a school, but a building as iconic as the Pavilion deserves a place in the school’s history.

It was opened 100 years ago in May 1924, – a different century, a different world, a different school. Yet the familiar bonds of friendship and sportsmanship it represents will be familiar to all Old Breconians, whether the Class of 1924, the Class of 2024 or any year in between and beyond.

Built as a memorial “to those who had fallen in the Great War”, the Pavilion was funded entirely by Old Breconians. As early as 1918, several months before the eventual Armistice, a “War Memorial Fund” was set up by the Old Breconian Association to remember the 35 Old Breconians who had died as a result of the conflict. By 1921, when the Memorial tablet in the antechapel was unveiled, the final official tally was 57.

The Memorial Pavilion was officially opened on 10 May 1924 by W M Llewellyn OB (School House 1901-06), one of the principal fund-raisers. He explained that construction of a pavilion had been chosen because many OBs had written to say,

“Let some part of your war memorial be connected with the games of the school, because as much as we remember the chapel and other sides of school life, the boys who died in the war and the boys who fought in the war were trained in the playing field, perhaps, more than anywhere else.”

The new Pavilion took its place centre stage in the school grounds, replacing the earlier “Old Pavvy” that had been constructed in 1881. The boards that had begun their lives in the Old Pavvy were transferred to the new Memorial Pavilion and they remain there to this day as an evocative record of the teams of 1881 until 1966.

In a reminder of the Pavilion’s origins that could never have been planned, the boards include 19 names that appear on both the First World War Memorial Tablet and on the team boards in the building that remembers them. The building’s hundredth birthday gives us a chance to remember those who gave their lives, and to thank those who chose to remember their classmates and peers by donating to a fund that would change the school landscape forever.

This week we celebrate a building that represents the continuity and change that characterises life at Christ College. As it moves into its own new century, we wish the Pavilion a very Happy Birthday!

To find out more, click here.

Keep reading...

The Good Schools Guide
Best Schools
School Notices
Duke of Edinburgh
HMC Logo
WISC Logo