|Young people have a wide choice of career paths available to them. They need to consider higher education, apprenticeships, employment and lifestyle choices/aspirations. Most Christ College leavers go on to higher education and here they must research the methods of study, the type of higher education institution and the career prospects beyond. |
With the growing financial pressure on higher education and the difficult and competitive graduate jobs market, they need to be in a position to make informed choices, based on effective careers advice, education and guidance gained at school. It is the aim of the Futures Department to provide this.
Christ College is affiliated with ISCO [Independent Schools Careers Organisation] and can provide a range of support services throughout the two years of the Sixth Form. We aim to provide:
- An opportunity to undertake some Work Experience in the Lower Sixth including work shadowing, mentoring and placement with some of the UK's top graduate employers. We can support pupils in parents in finding placements and monitoring the quality and outcomes of the placement;
- Presentations by University Schools Liaison Staff about undergraduate opportunities and the application process;
- Presentations by Christ College staff on higher education issues; student finance, UCAS, Oxbridge, Application to international universities etc;
- Attendance of UCAS higher education and GAP Fairs;
- An annual Universities Fair held at Christ College. This is attended by representatives from many major universities;
- Individual interviews with Christ College careers staff;
- On-line careers and Futures planning programmes through ISCO's Inspiring Futures Programme;
- Taster courses at universities;
- Practice interviews;
- Optional subscription to ISCO's futurewise programme;
- Visits to university open days;
- Interviews with specialist careers personnel: Armed Forces Liaison Officers, Engineers, Doctors, Veterinary Scientists, Solicitors etc;
- An annual Old Breconian Careers Presentation Evening;
The Futures Department works closely with academic and pastoral staff to ensure a complete and individual service.
For more details please contact the Head of Futures, Paul Chandler, via firstname.lastname@example.org.