Donaldson’s House

(Girls’ Boarding and Day House for pupils in Years M9 to Upper Sixth)

As one of the two senior girls boarding houses at Christ College, Donaldson's House was built in 1889 and opened in 1890. "The Hostel is an imposing building in the Elizabethan or late Tudor style of architecture, and harmonises well with the adjacent college buildings. It contains on the ground floor - Dining room and boys' day room, Master's and Matron's rooms, kitchen, scullery, buttery, boys lavatory, etc; on first and second floors - six dormitories for thirty boys, bathroom, sickroom, and bedrooms." (Editorial to the Breconian [Christ College's magazine] of Easter 1890!)

New beginnings … the editorial to the Breconian of 1998 stated that "nothing could more vividly underline the steady progress towards coeducation than the transformation of the building which sits at the heart of the school campus, and we must hope that the girls of the 21st century will come to look back upon the house with the same degree of affection that it undoubtedly engendered in so many of the boys who passed through its doors during its first 108 years."

Long gone are the boys' lavatories, six dormitories and indeed the scullery and buttery! In September 1998 Donaldson's became the second senior girls boarding house at Christ College. Completely refurbished to tailor the needs of the "new" inhabitants, Donaldson's provides a warm, comfortable environment in which to both work and play. Currently home to 45 girls aged 13-18 years, all girls have study bedrooms with vanity units, and are located in the first and second floors of the house. The ground floor consists of the main common room and quiet room, along with the exercise room and changing room which is equipped with a locker for each girl. The laundry room, linen room, drying room and boot room are also located on the ground floor. There are two kitchens in the house, one on the ground floor and a larger kitchen-cum-lounge area on the second floor which is used mainly by the Sixth Form.

To support the House Staff we have a Head of House and a team of House Prefects all of whom are selected from the Upper Sixth Form. The Head of House is responsible for helping to oversee the day-to-day running of the House and liaising with Housemistress and tutors. She is also on hand to deal with any problems, concerns or queries that the girls may have, and she organises House Prefect duties and orderly lists to ensure that the girls are collectively responsible for their House environment.

Donaldson's girls are always involved in the heart of school life. Collectively they are keen to achieve academically and play a prominent role in the sporting success of girls at CCB. Many of the Donaldson's girls are actively involved in School Choir; Chamber Choir; String Group; Jazz Band and school plays; let alone Community Service; Duke of Edinburgh Award Schemes and not forgetting CCF!

In addition to Houseparents Mr & Mrs Blatt, the House Staff include a team of House Tutors and an Assistant Houseparent who each have Tutor groups and who contribute to all aspects of life in Donaldson's.

We pride ourselves on the friendly family atmosphere within Donaldson's and actively encourage and support the individual to fulfil their potential and ambitions, and to develop a sense of achievement and self-worth.


DONALDSON'S HOUSE CONTACT DETAILS

  • Mrs E Blatt & Mr M Blatt, Houseparents Tel. 01874 615453/07880 741585
  • Mrs E McLean, Tutor
  • Mrs JM Hope, Tutor
  • Mrs C Forde-Halpin, Tutor
  • Mrs HE Williams, Tutor
  • Miss GM Kent, Resident Assistant